http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Thursday, November 20, 2003

HOLLAND 6 - scotland 0


What a game yesterday! I was in the pub watching it. I guess everyone who was for Netherlands was a bit nervous at the beginning, before the game. On saturday they didn't play that well and Scotland scored from one of the few chances they had, while Netherlands just couldn't score. And they didn't control the game like they are expected to. So come the second leg, anticipation was high.

On paper nobody would have doubted that Netherlands is gonna win it and go through to Portugal. But there was just something wrong with the team, with the press, and how everything is dealt with.

Fortunately, everything went our way in the match. Sneijder, Raffie, Bouma, and Reiziger took place for Kluivert, van Bronckhorst, Stam and Frank de Boer. This is what we wanted all along. Raffie is one of the best players Netherlands have. He's creative, quick, and has an eye for goal. Sneijder, although small, has an amazing vision and passing. These two youngsters really showed how mature they were in this game.

The game ended 6-0. Sneijder was the man of the match, van Nistelrooij grabbed his hat-trick and Davids is back being a useful pitbull. I was cheering and drinking like crazy. This is the Holland I know. The one I fell in love with and the one I will not leave.

What's better is that it shut up all the critics and journalists. After saturday, british newspapers were running articles on how Scotland is close to a historical victory and that they have a bigger chance to go to Portugal. Well, here you go, a historical defeat (the second biggest ever in their history) and no Portugal at all. And that, a Scot in the pub said to me, with Roy Makaay on the bench.

I'm still happy from last night's result. Hopefully the Dutch can sort it out and will make a big impact in Portugal. For the moment I'm just happy that I might be going to Portugal after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home