http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Serious



I finished reading John McEnroe's Serious. It was an easy read, but interesting nonetheless. He did live a rock & roll lifestyle. When he was 27 (my age now), he was already the #1 world tennis player, had a child with Tatum O'Neal, hung out backstage with the Stones, Santana, and more, and was basically feeling invinciblle. What a world of difference talent & hard work makes.

In a world where the body is their major asset, McEnroe didn't hesitate at all about describing his lifestyle. He partied a lot, smoked weed, was on a diet of pizza & beer, didn't practice a lot, slept whenever he felt like, etc etc etc. I wonder if today's athletes can still do the same. But this also answers why Agassi had a huge drop in his tennis career. On top of being injured, he was probably burned out and partied a tad bit too much. But then he shaved his head and reinvented himself and look at him now, still going strong at the age of 33.

Also for a man who is known to be one of the though bastards in tennis, McEnroe doesn't flinch at all when admitting that he's a sensitive person. He admit he cries. A lot. Maybe his agressiveness was just a cover for his sensitive side.

All and all I think McEnroe is a person you either like or don't. If you like him, you'll read this book and like him more. If you don't like him, you'll read this book and then you'll dislike him more (although why bother reading a book about a person you don't even like?).

Sometimes I wish my life was worth writing a book about. It will be interesting to see what other people think of me, of my life, of the things I have done in my life. Maybe if I can get on stage with Spinal Tap (just like McEnroe), then my life will be worth writing a book about. You can always hope...

----------

Tonight: Kill Bill vol.1 and Ajax - AC Milan.
I'll watch the movie, tape the game, come home and then watch the game.

----------

I'm getting more and more into this whole blogging thing. I put on a couple of interesting blogs on the side, which I'm sure will add during the course of time. Blogging (and reading blogs) is quite fun, especially when you're in the office and not doing much. Most of the ones I stumble upon are from Singaporean teenage girls giggling about their crush or best friend. But once in a while I find some blogs worth reading. It's interesting how different people's views are on/in the world. Blogging is better than reality TV, because blogging is real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home