http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Monday, December 22, 2003

5 Best Concerts of 2003


After my top 10 albums of 2003, here's another list. The best 5 concerts in 2003. I've seen quite some concerts in 2003 so might as well put the best 5 on here and what I think about those concerts.

1. Radiohead at Montreux Jazz Festival, July 2003
The concert I've been waiting for all my life. I missed the ticket sales because I was in Amsterdam at that day, so I had to scour the internet and look for scalpers. I found one for twice the normal price but was more than happy to pay that amount. Went by myself and ran inside to get second row just in front of Ed. It was an amazing concert! Thom was smiling, Jonny looked like a scientist in his corner over there. Ed is indeed tall and handsome. Colin and Phil just kept the rhythm going.
Best moment: Thom actually talking to the audience. Who says he is an enternal sulk?

2. Coldplay - Hallenstadion, Zurich, April 2003
Another one I was looking forward to. A couple of years ago they were just a bunch of students at UCL having some fun, and now they are big arena rockers. Again, amazing performance. The only downside was that the mic for the drum cymbals wasn't working properly so I couldn't hear it when Will was pounding on his cymbals. Chris' charisma is amazing, as my friend said "I just wanna hug Chris!". You can hear everyone singing along on Yellow.
Best moment: The lasershow with Clocks.

3. Badly Drawn Boy - Paleo Festival, July 2003
There he was, alone on stage with his guitar strapped on his shoulder, fag in one hand, glass of sangria in the other, still in his woolen hat although it was 30 degrees. It couldn't be more intimate. He was singing his songs without a care in the world, as if he was chilling in his living room. The songs just came out honest. It was the best way to enjoy Badly Drawn Boy.
Best moment: When he handed his harmonica and towel to the little girl at the front row.

4. R.E.M. - Paleo Festival, July 2003
The veteran arena rockers. They've been around so long but they still rock. With this European Tour, it was a showcase for their best songs, but they did take requests online and they would play it (with the exception of Shiny Happy People). Michael Stipe was still in awe from the firework display just before the concert and had to mention it a couple of time. They played all their hit songs, had everyone singing along, even played longer than they were supposed to. And when they finished with It's The End Of The World (And I Feel Fine), we all knew that if it was the end of the world, we all felt fine.
Best moment: Michael Stipe being in awe from the fireworks.

5. Robbie Williams - Geneva Arena, October 2003
A lot of people don't like him, but for me he is the ultimate entertainer. That's what he does, entertain people. And the best way to enjoy it is at his concert (which he aptly opens with Let Me Entertain You). It was nothing less than a show, complete with 4 strippers, er, dancers. The way he communicates and touched the audience, you know that he is a born entertainer. Blame it all on angels.
Best moment: Playing the guitar on Better Man and missing a chord.

That's it, the best concerts for me in 2003. Hopefully I get to see better ones in 2004 (although I doubt it).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home