http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Monday, April 19, 2004

Starsky & Hutch


This movie, starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson, is a remake of a 70s TV series. I do remember watching reruns of Starsky & Hutch back in the 80s, but I can't remember much of the story. I'm more of a 80s TV series guy (Knightrider, The A-Team, Miami Vice, CHiPs, etc). What I do remember is the car. Starsky's red Ford Torino with a with stripe on it. That car was the soul of the series.

Fortunately, the makers of this movie realised the importance of the car. So instead of changing the time, the movie is still set in th 70s. Otherwise the Torino will look out of place between all the SUVs, Japanese mini cars and pimp rides. The story of the movie revolves around Starsky getting a new partner in Hutch. Sort of a prequel to the TV series then.

It's a fun and light entertaining movie. It certainly did better than any other 70s TV series-made-into-a-movie movie (Charlie's Angels, S.W.A.T., etc). Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson have this good chemistry and having Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear is just perfect (although I still don't understand why Snoop is willing to stand there in his boxers). It also paid homage to the original Starsky & Hutch by having the original Starksy & Hutch in it.

In the end, it just confirms my suspicion. The star of this movie isn't Stiller, Wilson, or Snoop. It's the Ford Torino. I hope that the makers of the remake of Dukes of Hazzard and The A-Team are taking notes. The cars are the stars of the movie. Take them out and it will flop.

On a personal note: I must have some kind of curse on me...

"You have really soft lips."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home