http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

DOctor


Fact: I don't like going to the doctor. NOt that I'm afraid or something, but just because I believe in my own body's healing mechanism. A human body has the ability to heal itself. The doctor just makes sure that you know what you're dealing with and medicines are to help.

Three weeks ago I fell on my arm and injured my elbow. A first hand examination shows that it is most likely to be a strecthed or bruised ligament. No worries, i'll just bandage it and don't use my arm in a while. Obviously, me being me, I couldn't resist the temptation to start doing stuff so after a week I was already playing ultimate and football and doing other stuff as well.

Yesterday it still hurts so I decided to go to a doctor and check it out. My friends are insisting me and since it's an accident it's covered by the office. So after work I went to the hospital and got to the reception at 7. She sends me to see a nurse, who checks out my injuries and my blood pressure (158 over 120 - should I be worried?). That nurse sends me back to the reception where I have to fill in the usual paperwork. Afterwards she told me to sit down and wait. That was about 10 minutes after I have entered.

More than an hour later, my name gets called. I go with the nurse who called me. She guided me to a room and told me to wait there. Again. For about 10 minutes. Then finally I get to see the doctor. He looks at my elbow and asks the usual questions. I said that it's probably my ligament. He then said that he needs some x-rays, which seems a logical thing to do.

I wait again, somebody calls me, she takes some x-rays and then I wait for the doctor again. Finally he comes in.

Doctor: "Good news. Nothing is broken. So where does it hurt?" (while examining my elbow).
anakzaman: "Here. I can't do this and this" (while moving my arm).
Doctor: "I think you're diagnosis is correct. It's probably the ligament. All you have to do is put ice on it and take some anti-inflammatory pills."
anakzaman: "That's it???"
Doctor: "Yes. Here you go and have a nice day!"

I've just spend two hours in a hospital waiting for the doctor, he looks at it for 5 minutes and the conclusion is that I have to put ice on it. You see why I don't like doctors?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home