http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Paleo, Tuesday


It's the time of the year. Paleo is on. Too bad the 29th edition isn't as good as the previous years, so I'm only going on Tuesday and Friday. The program isn't that good, at least I expected better. But I can't just let a festival go.

Tuesday I went there to see Starsailor, Kings of Leon and The Charlatans. Texas was a bonus but I'm still a bit disappointed that David Bowie cancelled - although I'm not blaming him.

I dashed a bit early out of work to get there in time for Starsailor, who plays at 7. I made it in time, even managed to stand really close upfront. At 7 precisely, James Walsh and his mates came out. It was a very big stage for a band who doesn't look that big. There's a lot of empty space for them to fill, but James somehow managed to do so with his boyish smile. Starsailor looks like a college band, who are all just mates and in it to have fun. But there must be more to that, otherwise the great Phil Spector would not have produced a couple of songs in their second album. And they would not have the guts to fire him.

Songs like Alcoholic, Born Again, Silence is Easy and Good Souls shows what they can do. They do rely a lot on James, as he sings, plays guitar, is the frontman and writes all the songs. But he doesn't look out of place if you put him next to Chris Martin. In fact, he is the same type like Chris Martin, maybe a bit more shy. Starsailor's concert really made me feel good and sometimes I wished I still have a band to play in. Because that could have been easily me on stage.

Afterwards I rushed out to see Kings of Leon in the other tent (there are 4 tents in Paleo). As expected I saw four guys on stage who looks like they have been teleported straight from the 70s. The Followill brothers (and one cousin) were rocking it with their stoned out 70s rock. At some points they sound a bit like The Strokes. I like the way these guys were rocking it. Caleb Followill, the lead singer, wouldn't look out of place in Almost Famous. Jared, bass, is like a mini Jim Morrison. Nathan, the drummer, is like a mad scientist who smoke too much pot. His beard and glasses somehow made his 70s look more authentic. And Matthew, the lead guitarist, is clearly the cousin, with a goofy look and all but still plays impressive guitars. Definitely worth seeing.

The clouds were gathering as Kings of Leon were playing. When The Charlatans were about to start, the cloud were thick and rain was just waitng to happen. Tim Burgess took the main stage with his mates and started to play their 90s britpop/dance music. Welcome Madchester! They still sound amazing, and you can tell they were playing alongside The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays. While those other two bands are now defunct, The Charlatans are still rocking it. Tim Burgess happily plays the frontman.

Rain eventually did come down. I just put on my raincoat and kept on dancing to the Charlatans. It cleared a bit and after they finished I finally had some time to get some food. I got myself a Malakoff and some beers. The rain started again and this time it was for real. The ground started to become muddy and people were all hiding in the bars and tents. I made my way to the Rugby bar but it was like packed sardines underneath the tent. I couldn't even get a beer.

I made my way out, walked in the rain through the mud. It definitely feels like Switzerland's Glastonbury with the mud and rain. I was looking for a Starsailor t-shirt but couldn't find it. In the end I settled on watching Texas from a distance but then got tired and just went home. It took me while though to find my car in the mudfield...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home