http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Visa

I live in a country that is not part of the European Union but is landlocked by other European Union countries. All the lands around this country are part of the Schengen accord, which rules that inhabitants of these countries (not citizens) have the right to move freely to other Schengen states.

However, the country I am in has just voted to be part of the Schengen accord (a small victory, only 52% voted YES). So currently the movement of the inhabitants of this country has to adhere to the regulations between this country and the Schengen states. And the regulation says that people like me should have a visa to go to a Schengen state. Even though I have been here for 5 years. Even though I have a valid job and a proper work permit. Even though I have never been convicted of a crime (euh, well not yet).

So every six months I have to make an appointment, fill in forms, make photocopies of all my documents, stand in line, pay some money, stand in line again, answer questions and then wait 2 weeks before I get a visa. Sounds like a hassle ain't it? Well it is a hassle. And only so that I can cross the border and have some fish and chips.

My visa expired last week and yesterday I called the consulat for an appointment. The earliest they have is end of July. So I won't be going anywhere until at least mid-August. Stupid visa regulation!!!

If only my country allows dual citizenship...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home