http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Ronaldo's free kick

Last Wednesday I was in Luxembourg, working on the year-end numbers and being harrased by auditors. In the evening I went for a quick dinner by myself and decided to walk past by the Tube - a sort of English speaking bar/pub. It's a small one and they have one screen to show any matches.

Fortunately for me, the minute I walked in Man Utd vs Portsmouth was just kicking off. I got my pint and took a seat by the bar and watched the game. The good thing about watching a football game is that you don't really need anyone to talk to.

However, when Cristiano Ronaldo scored from the free-kick I really needed to talk about it and couldn't. What an amazing free kick.



Now, personally I don't like Cristiano Ronaldo and I have seen lots of free kicks but I do have to say that this one was very special indeed. The way he kicked it, the way the ball flew in, the whole sequence.

Normally, footballers take free kicks by spinning the ball (a la Beckham) or kicking it as hard as possible (a la Roberto Carlos) but Ronaldo kicked it differently. He sort of toe-poked the ball and gave it and outside curve effect and the way the ball dipped was just amazing.

I'm just glad I got to see it live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home