http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Monday, August 04, 2008

Stag Do (and NOT drinking)

Last Friday was a public holiday here, and being in the middle of summer, it means a nice long weekend. As one of my mate here is getting married next month, it was the perfect occasion to have a stag do.

Good weather, bunch of guys, the girls were away, and an appartment with a garden in the country side (they had the hen do in London) means three things: alcohol, meat and more alcohol. Friday afternoon we set-up the barbeque and put on meat on it. The fridge was packed with beer and other alcohol. Although only 6 could make it, we went through a lot of alcohol and a lot of meat. Somewhere during the night we went to a bonfire and played frisbee around (and over) it. All while still drinking alcohol.

Saturday was the outing. We went to Walibi to have some fun on the rides there. But this meant that one person was going to be a designated driver. I voluntarily took on the role and ended up not drinking. But with the amount of alcohol I drank the night before, I was pretty much still intoxicated for most of the day.

In the end, during the whole of Saturday - including dinner at a Brazilian where they serve great meat and kick-ass caiprinhas - I only had two alcoholic drinks: a bottle of beer and a caipirinha during dinner.

It was a weird feeling, because normally I would have been one of the first to be drunk and in that kind of opportunity I would have drunk a LOT. But being sober gave me a different feeling and I still enjoyed the night as much as I would have if I was drunk. And I remembered everything that went on the morning after.

I guess I can do it without drinking. I never thought I could but I did. Another lesson in life learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home