http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Monday, October 13, 2008

Hey Mr. DJ

A couple of weekends ago my girlfriend's parents' church organised a gala dinner in order to raise some money for the parish. They asked me whether I could help with the music as they want to have a bit of dancing after dinner. The music was supposed to be 60s music as the majority of the people coming to this gala dinner would be people who danced to music back in the 60s.

Anyway, I said "sure". I looked for some equipment, hired a mixer and borrowed my girlfriend's dad laptop as he has is iTunes on it and it has much more 60s music than I have among my CD collection (60s CDs that I have: The White Album, Sgt Pepper's, Revolver, Pet Sounds, Best of The Who, Best of Marvin Gaye, but that's about it I'm afraid).

The night went on and after dinner I started the music. With a portable CD player, a laptop and my iPod I tried my best at mixing 60s music. To my surprise, the people (who I have to say were all around 60 years old) were having fun and some were dancing as if it was 1969. With the exception of 3 songs (Dancing Queen, YMCA, D'Ya Think I'm Sexy) I think I played all 60s music. After two hours of dancing, somebody requested a slow song. The crowd then realised it was past midnight and remembered their real age again. The day after, people all said that they had lots of fun.

A couple of days ago I received an email from one the the persons who was dancing, asking if I would be available to do the music at her retirement party in December.

So this is my DJing career so far: started out at a work Christmas party, did a party in a small club once, weddings, the annual frisbee party, and now church and retirement parties. Soon I'll be mixing it up in St. Tropez next to Tiesto baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home