http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Music

It's already March and today I just bought the second album of the year. Yes, my music consumption has gone down dramatically. It used to be about 2 albums per week, and now 2 albums in 2 months.

The first album of the year that I bought was Them Crooked Vultures. I'm a big fan of Dave Grohl and I couldn't just let that supergroup go without listening to it several times. The second one I just bought is Owl City's Ocean Eyes. Mainly because I have Fireflies stuck in my head ever since I saw it on MTV Austria back in December.

Both of them I bought on iTunes. No physical CD, just an electronic file that surely will be deleted one day. Ten years ago I was against downloading music, my reasoning being that the artwork and all that is part of the album package. But when you buy from iTunes you get the artwork anyway and any other details you might want to know you can find on the internet.

Another way of listening to music is Spotify. I have a premium subscription and I can type in anything I want to listen and it will play - even on my iPhone. Since most music that I have bought I only listened to 2 or 3 times, Spotify makes perfect sense for me.

It does not mean that I will never buy CDs again. Next week I will definitely get Plastic Beach. And when Radiohead, U2, Coldplay, Muse, Foo Fighters, Weezer, and some other bands come out with an album I need to get a CD to complete my collection of their albums.

The experience of listening and purchasing music has definitely changed and I am changing with it. God knows how we listen to music in 20 years time. I hope I still have a copy of Owl City's Ocean Eyes somewhere though because Fireflies certainly lifts me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home